Consultant, Health Economics
April 20, 2017
Do you have experience working with the Alberta Schedule of Medical Benefits?
Do you have exceptional interpersonal skills and can easily foster collaborative relationships?
Do you want to support Alberta doctors in their provision of quality health care in our province?
The Alberta Medical Association (AMA) is looking for a results oriented, energetic consultant with fees and project management experience to be a part of our Health Economics team. At the AMA, we know that employees are fundamental to our success as an organization. We take pride in hiring client-oriented relationship builders who embrace teamwork, personal growth and truly want to help us succeed.
The AMA is the official voice of the medical profession in Alberta. It stands as an advocate for its physician members and provides them with leadership and support in the provision of quality health care. For more information on the AMA please visit our website at www.albertadoctors.org .
The Health Economics (HE) branch supports physicians through compensation strategy and policy development on behalf of Alberta physicians. As a key member of the HE team, you will provide a leadership role in a number of different capacities within the team, at various levels with internal and external stakeholders and members.
Guided by the AMA Agreement and the Senior Advisor, Policy and Economics, this role will provide you with the opportunity to:
Provide leadership and advice: Utilize your current knowledge of physician remuneration, health care and related issues/trends to provide advice/leadership to physicians and staff on relativity, rules and regulations, policy, strategic objectives, risk and risk management.
Monitor trends and be innovative: Be cognizant of change in other areas of health care and how this may impact physician payment systems and use this knowledge to recommend solutions for the schedule.
Build relationships: Establish and maintain strong, successful working relationships and partnerships with stakeholders, i.e., Alberta Health, Alberta Health Services, physician members and physician leaders.
Facilitate and influence: Create and deliver presentations for both internal and external audiences, including summarizing complex concepts and materials. You will use your exceptional research, analytical and assessment skills to interact and influence physician leaders, members, government, private providers and professional bodies.
Project management: Provide leadership for complex projects and coordinate HE’s roles in projects. You will also take a lead staff role in fees-based initiatives.
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in economics or related discipline.
- Five to nine years of experience working with physicians and within the health care system.
- Experience working with the Alberta Schedule of Medical Benefits.
- Project management and planning.
- Experience in technical writing and/ or business document preparation.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Current knowledge of health care, related issues and trends.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including leadership, facilitation, conflict resolution and mediation skills.
- Strong planning and organization skills with the ability to focus and prioritize.
- Exceptional research, analytical, quantitative, assessment and computer skills.
- Highly developed business and political acumen.
- Ability to anticipate and identify risks, and proactively develop risk mitigation strategies.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Established/demonstrated credibility with physicians and physician leaders across the province in order to influence change.
- Ability and flexibility to manage competing and concurrent priorities and tasks effectively and work under extremely tight time frames.
- A professional manner that displays integrity and respect for others.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter with full job title and résumé, in confidence, before 5 p.m. on May 8, to:
Alberta Medical Association
This position will remain open until May 6,or until a suitable candidate can be found. We thank all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Your résumé may be used for other vacancies.