EMR Support Information
Ways we can support you
1. Support documents and tools originally developed through POSP are available on the AMA website
Find information about:
- Selecting an EMR.
- Working with your EMR vendor.
- Privacy and security management.
- Data management.
- Learning opportunities.
2. General EMR operations
- Answer queries and address concerns about EMRs.
- Direct physicians to appropriate resources including the AMA and external resources or organizations, e.g., Alberta Health regarding billing, Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner, etc.
- Answer questions about EMR vendors and advocate on AMA members’ behalf.
- Support physicians moving to new clinics (starting their own clinics, retiring, leaving the province, changing to a locum and/or changing EMRs).
- Facilitate issue resolution between vendors and clinics in areas such as training, support and pricing.
3. Privacy and security
We can advise on:
- Meeting Health Information Act requirements including help with Privacy Impact Assessments and amendments.
- Dealing with suspected security breaches: answer questions and help with mitigation/reporting processes.
4. EMR implementation, data management and project management
- Advise members on options for data management services with their vendors.
- Review and provide advice on vendor data management contracts as requested by members.
- Promote the integrity of data transfer with both members and vendors.
- Provide advice on project management, EMR implementation, vendor selection, data transfer, check lists, etc.