Vision and Mission
Alberta's physicians and the Alberta Medical Association (AMA) are committed to Patients First®.
Vision: Patients First®
Alberta’s physicians are committed to a health care system that facilitates wellness and delivers patient-and family-centered care:
- The provincial health care system is built around patients and families and defined by quality:
- Patients and families enjoy optimal health through access to:
- Healthy lifestyle choices.
- Healthy environments and opportunities.
- Health service access based primarily on need, not ability to pay.
- The health care system has the resources to deliver patient- and family-centered care, with best evidence used to allocate resources to what is most effective and efficient in meeting health care needs.
- The relationship between physician and patient remains a cornerstone of the health care system, founded on mutual respect, dignity, compassion and trust. Care is delivered with, not to, the patient, including:
- Patient choice of physician.
- Physicians as agents of patients acting always in the patient's best interests.
- Clinical and professional autonomy of physicians.
- Providers and patients are partners with funders and managers, sharing the goal of a patient- and family-centered health care system with defined roles and responsibilities and clearly specified accountability.
Mission: Leadership and support
The AMA stands as an advocate for its physician members, providing leadership and support for their role in the provision of quality health care.